"The Science of Reality"
Dictionaries commonly define science as "systematized knowledge."
Revelation revealed by the Prophets of God in the holy books as
sacred scripture transcribed as the Creative Word, is Truth and
Reality in the ultimate sense.
Dictionaries also define reality as "what actually exists," and
"what underlies appearances."
Marian Crist Lippitt, for the better part of her life spent her time
extracting and organizing (systematizing) quotes and concepts from
Writings, to assist individuals with the spiritual transformation
of human character.
She used the scientific technique of assuming a postulate or
hypothesis to be true, and created experiments to test the hypotheses
to see if they held up. The postulates are derived from the
In these experiments, the scientist as well as the object under
study are the same person. Participants are basically studying
themselves, as both the scientist and the object of study or patient.
As the person observes his or her own reactions to the tests, the
person learns about his or her own reality and begins to transform
his/her way of looking at the world, and his/her attitude and
behavior toward everything in the world, including especially one's
own self, likewise changes.
Hence the term, "Science of Reality." The Science of Reality
presents an overall point of view to be tested by individual human
beings, in contrast to personal points of view which human beings
already have. The Science of Reality is an overall point of view
because it is the view expressed in holy scriptures which come from
God the Creator of all existence and reality.
Marian Lippitt prolifically prepared compilations and courses in
fulfillment of this objective, and she corresponded frequently with
her students, providing much personalized and detailed instruction.
Lippitt considered her work as
applications of the science of reality.
The Creative Word has transformative effects on the soul. Mrs.
Lippitt recognized this, and developed courses using the quotes and
concepts found in the Baha'i Writings to facilitate
spiritual transformation of human souls.
Marian went on to develop the core concepts of a secular education
philosophy titled "The Science of Reality", a
monograph of which was
presented in 1980 at a
conference of educators called by the
Association for a World University.
She formed 50 "Science of Reality" postulates governing this
Science of Postulates © Copyright Marian Crist
return to FIR home page
Page last updated: Oct. 28, 2001
- No sign can come from a non-existent thing.
- Any sign or evidence of existence that has warranted being
named must be considered a reality.
- There are two kinds of knowledge: knowledge of the essence of
a thing, and knowledge of its qualities. The first is beyond the
reach of human Knowing powers; knowledge of the qualities of a
thing is acquired by experience, discovery and revelation.
- Understanding or comprehension is an inherent ability of man,
manifesting in vision which, in turn, functions through three
degrees of Knowing Power (as noted); physical, mental and
- What a person sees determines his feelings and reactions to
life; and how what faces him appears to him is determined by his
- We are out of touch with the reality of what we are dealing
with unless or until we are aware of its fifth dimension which is
- All Existence is operating under the aegis of a Purpose that
is flawless, “better than best”, divine; and we are empowered by
the invincible Source-directed Power called Spirit, which assures
fulfillment of that Purpose.
- Negative emotions (dislike, fear, revulsion etc..) result in
character deficiencies, whereas positive emotions (Liking, Love
etc. ) generate virtues and spiritual qualities. I-d-L-ing (I
don’t Like-ing) indicates need to assume higher viewpoint.
- Man is essentially a spiritual being, that, in this earthly
matrix of humanness is undergoing an embryonic growth by using his
material endowments and slowly becoming an active part of
spiritual existence. Seeing this, we react differently, as
- Everything that exists in the domain of reality has a source.
Universe could not have come into being by itself.
- Everything that exists emanates from its source in one of two
ways: the source manifests it - or the source creates it.
- What a source manifests is a form of the source, partakes of
the attributes characterizing the source, and reveals or manifests
certain qualities or aspects of the source.
- What a source creates merely reflects some qualities or
aspects of the source, but does not reveal, manifest or share the
reality of the source. They are different worlds.
- All that emanates from the Source is under the latter’s
dominion and control; and the Source stands alone in relation to
it. Source has absolute existence; worlds have only contingent
existence and are in state of thralldom or servitude to the
Source. What can be known about the Source: (see next postulates
15, 16, )
- The Source-Reality that man calls God is the unknowable
Essence that underlies all of five-dimensional existence.
- All superior worlds, kingdoms or conditions are
incomprehensible and unknowable to lesser or lower levels of
existence. Man cannot comprehend his Creator. We form concepts of
God that are products of human imagination.2
- The qualities of the Source are known through what the Source
manifests and creates.
- The Source of man is greater, more powerful and perfect, than
man or anything that is manifested or created.
- All virtues have a Center or Origin and that Center is the
manifested Source of all Existence; and that Source is infinite,
eternal, and better than the best that is manifested or created,
as described by the word “Divine” or “Glorious”.
- A world or kingdom of Existence is the sum total of the
realities that constitute or belong to it; and the greatest
realities that have emanated from the Source are living beings.
- There are two kinds of beings: those manifested that we call
superhuman Beings; and those created, the greatest of which are
human souls or man.
- The Greater World is the sum total of all the Source
- The superhuman Being, Man, is a showing forth of the Source in
various forms. (See#12)
- A manifested Being appears periodically in the Lesser World in
the form of a created being.
- One undeniable sign of our all-powerful Source is the causing
of beings to exist. Recognizing the Reality and Qualities of our
Source and acquaintance with the superhuman Man lifts our level of
consciousness and emotional tone.
- Only one Energy-drive or animating Principle underlies all
Existence; and this Power, called Spirit, manifests in progressive
degrees. It is manifested completely or wholly as the Holy Power
of the superhuman Being.
- Knowing-power which is intelligence, and Love or Linking-power
which is the ability to Link hearts and minds together, constitute
the Source-Power called Spirit that is manifested in progressive
degrees. They bring to Creation all the Power needed to fulfill
its Purpose, and are activated as directed by personal volition.
- In what the Source manifests can be seen Revelations and
Communications from our Origin, enlightening humanity.
- Inexorable Laws exist, by obedience to which a divine Order is
maintained throughout Existence. Man has discovered Laws of
Nature, and resists their dominance by making them work for him;
but disobedience to Laws of his own being brings disaster upon
- What the Source manifests is always manifest and real from the
holistic viewpoint, but is not visible as such from the rational
or human viewpoints.
- The Lesser World is the sum total of what the Source creates,
and is called Creation. We are part of this world.
- Of all the realities that the Source creates, man is by far
- The reality of man is called a soul, and Creation is the
Kingdom of Souls. It has lower forms of existence too.
- Man has dominion over everything that the Source creates other
than human souls.
- The Lesser World is a spiritual world of being, the product of
an ideal Purpose and of a Power so boundless that success and
fulfillment, in time, are assured.
- Material existence is what can be seen, heard, smelled, tasted
- Spiritual Existence is five-dimensional existence and includes
the invisible, immaterial aspects of reality perceptible only to
our spiritual vision, the combined eyes of the mind and heart.
- Spiritual realities are immaterial, timeless and flawless.3
- The world of matter is an outer temporal expression or
facsimile of the inner Kingdom of Reality. For Creation is a
single unified conglomerate.
- The variations in the realm of being that we accept as real,
proceed from our own vision.
- The Cause or Source of our being has been recognized by the
Human Consciousness and called God.
- Through Man’s Cause and His servitude to humanity the reason
or Cause of our creation in a condition of servitude is glorified.
- The perfect Being that is manifested is the Link between the
divine Source and It’s incomplete, evolving Creation; much as the
suns rays connect the sun with the earth.
- Our powerful Purpose is carried out by the purposeful Energy
and motivation of Spirit that the Source manifests in bringing
both Worlds into being.
- The Lesser World’s animating Power, the whole (Holy) Spirit,
is a combination of Knowing-power that we experience as
intelligence, and Love-power that supplies our emotional energy
and the motor drive of human existence.
- Human Beings are dependent on what the Source manifests
(divine Revelations) for the Know-how in fulfilling their real
- The Cosmic Thought World is supplied and replenished by what
the Source manifests through appearances of the manifested Man in
- As obedience to the laws of nature makes us eligible for all
the blessings of subhuman existence, so too obedience to spiritual
laws will qualify us to claim the joys and rewards of spiritual
- Laws are the basis for the structure and orderly procedures of
the Lesser World; when we realize that they are the Signs and
Manifestations of the sublime Will and celestial wisdom of our
Source, we shall long to know and obey them.
- The spiritualization of man depends on expansion of the Human
Consciousness to include what the Source manifests.